These bite-size marshmallow treats look like brains with a red artery running between the hemispheres!
1 package of berry-flavored fruit tape
5-1/2 cups cornflakes
3 TBS unsalted butter
7-1/2 oz container Marshmallow Fluff®
Pinch of salt
Black gel food coloring
Cooking spray oil
Cut the fruit tape into 12 strips about 3 inches long by 1/8 of an inch wide. Peel off the backing and set aside.
Crush the cornflakes with your hands. Set aside.
Heat a large pot on low. Add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the Marshmallow Fluff® and a pinch of salt. Stir until well-combined. Turn off the heat. Dip a toothpick into the black food coloring and add only a drop or two. Stir until the marshmallow is a light shade of gray.
Add the cornflakes to the marshmallow mixture and stir until the marshmallow evenly coats the cereal.
Spray a standard-size ice cream scoop with the spray oil. Scoop out 12 even portions of the cereal mixture and place them on a piece of waxed paper. Cool for 3 minutes.
Cut four pieces of waxed paper and spray each piece lightly with oil. Spray the oil on your hands.
Working quickly, place one portion of the cereal mixture onto the center of a piece of waxed paper. Twist the paper over the cereal mixture and compact it into a ball. Shape the ball into a brain with a slight ridge running down the center. The waxed paper will give you leverage as you shape. Remove the waxed paper from the brain. Place a strip of fruit tape in the center of the brain, tucking the edges underneath it.
Repeat with the remaining portions of cereal mixture, using a new piece of waxed paper after every third portion.
Once the brains are shaped and arteried, set aside for 30 minutes before eating.
These are best eaten the same day.
Don't Freak Out!
1) You could use crispy rice cereal for these brains. However, I don't recommend popcorn (it becomes chewy and unpleasant when it meets the warm marshmallow) or any cereal that is round (the marshmallow coats each piece of cereal individually and they refuse to stick together in a brainy fashion).
2) If you add too much of the black food coloring, the brains will turn purple. Just rock it and call them zombie brains.
3) Add an extra fruit tape artery or two for a gorier effect.
4) Marshmallow Fluff® is both kosher and vegetarian (it doesn't contain gelatin from mammals but does have egg whites). You can use a 10 oz bag of regular marshmallows instead. Or you can use kosher marshmallows (sometimes sold as "natural" marshmallows); they however, usually contain fish gelatin.
5) Make it vegan. Use vegan margarine (I prefer coconut oil rather than soy-based) instead of butter and vegan marshmallows instead of the Marshmallow Fluff®. Vegan marshmallows can be quite pricey (over $4 for a 10 oz bag).
#Halloweenfood #Halloween #Desserts #MarshmallowFluff #Cereal #VeganOption #Vegetarian #Kosher #dessert #cornflakes #brains #fruittape #fruitleather #halloweenparty #foodforfoodies #instafood #foodporn #foodgram